3/31/11

Here it goes!

   Today ( I guess I should say yesterday now) was my last day at home for 26 months. I've actually been calmer about it than I thought I would. I went out for breakfast and a drive around town with my mom this morning while still wearing my pajamas. Then I spent time on the couch cuddling with the dogs and watching "The Cosby Show" and "The Gilmore Girls". I checked my paper work over to make sure I was all set and passed on important information to my parents, but I didn't feel stressed out by it. It actually felt really good to know that it was all organized and ready. For dinner tonight we had tacos and some egg nog flavored wine (yes, it exists!) and it was delicious. I put a few more pictures in my luggage of friends, family, Maine, and Boston.  I talked with some friends at different points throughout the day, and my brother called from Boston tonight to say goodbye. I made it through all of those goodbyes just fine. I stressed out slightly over my luggage one last time, but I ditched a few more things and felt better. I spent time chatting with my mother and sister and laughing about various family stories. I talked to them about being nervous about flying, and we made some jokes about it and moved on.
   Now I'm sitting in my room alone with all of my luggage piled in a corner, and this is weird. I know it is a good thing that I'm going because I'm so excited to go and this is what I've wanted for so long and what I still want very much. It just feels weird that it is actually real. It is weird to have all these people saying goodbye to me and sending me positive messages. I appreciate it very much, but it is surreal feeling.  It is strange feeling so happy to be able to go to Botswana and feeling sad to leave the people I love here at the same time. I don't think I've ever felt a mix of emotions quite like this before.
   I'm not sure when I will be able to blog again. I may from the hotel I'll be staying at during staging or from the plane. Stay tuned for much more interesting blog entries in the future though!
Peace Corps Botswana here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment