3/14/11

17 Days!

17 Days until peacing out and here is where my life is at...

Packing: I've now packed my carry on bag 3 times. The first time I realized that I hadn't put any clothing in it, and If my luggage was lost I would have been out of luck and naked in Africa. Then I realized that I had packed books and things to use on the plane underneath everything else, and I had images of myself trying to fish through my bag and dropping my clothes and underwear everywhere on the plane. Also, not good.  I think I am all set now with that one bag at least. I guess that is why they, and by they I mean experienced Peace Corps volunteers, say not to wait until the last minute to pack.

Working: I only have 2 shifts left this week, and then I will be finished work! As glad as I am to finish up there, I know that saying goodbyes to staff and students there will be tough. I made the students living on my wing a card and wrote a letter to them thanking them for their hard work and encouraging them to keep it up. They are having a pizza/ ice cream party to say goodbye to me as well.

Eating: Many people know that I had been a vegetarian for a while and that before that I had only eaten chicken and fish for 12 years. Well, I made the decision to go back to eating chicken, fish, and some red meat a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell you, that was a great choice. I feel better and like I have more energy. I think that I've probably been overcompensating a little for the fact that I will miss certain foods when I go to Africa though by eating a bit too much junk. I'm trying to get back on track so I can be healthy and strong when I go.

Saying Goodbyes: My party is this coming Saturday so I've been preparing for that. We are expecting 40 people to come, which I am pleasantly surprised about. I know people live all over the place and have busy lives. I'm excited to see everyone before I go. I've also just been trying to spend a lot of time with family and friends. Yesterday I spent my day off hanging out around the house with my family, and my 11 year old brother and I took goofy pictures and laughed a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment