3/10/11

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony".~Gandhi

   People keep asking me how I feel about leaving in 3 weeks to go to Botswana. I've had a tough time putting my feelings into words because I've felt a mix of emotions. However, I would mainly describe the way I feel as grateful.  I've known since I was 14 that I wanted to go somewhere else in the world and try to make a difference. A lot has happened between then and now that has fueled my desire to go. I'm grateful for my parents who taught me to care about others at an early age and to be true to myself. I'm grateful for my supportive friends. I'm grateful that I found social work as a major in college. I'm grateful that I joined Delta Zeta because I met so many incredible people who taught me so much. I'm grateful for those wonderful people in my life that introduced me to Alternative Spring Break where I found my love for  HIV/AIDS education. I'm grateful that I learned to be true to myself and my own happiness when I decided to move to Boston to work at a residential treatment center for teenagers and for all of the experiences that brought, both good and bad. I'm grateful for lessons in steadfastness, compassion, and patience that I've learned through these experiences.
   Going to Botswana at this point in my life feels right. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity that I know not everyone gets. I feel extremely at "peace" ( pun intended hehe) with going. I know I have the love and support of the people I care about, and I feel confident that going is what I want and will be a worthwhile experience. I am so very happy, and this is what makes saying goodbyes a little easier.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I am a Delta Zeta too! I can't believe I'm going to Botswana with another DZ! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY?! That is amazing!!!!! : ) I can't wait to tell other DZs about this : )

    ReplyDelete