3/17/11

Finished at Work and 2 weeks to go

      I can't sleep because I have a lot on my mind so I'm trying to clear my mind a little by listening to some music and writing. Tonight was my last night at work, and things are feeling much more real. The students on my wing made me a lovely card and gave me a sign that says "Dream" and a beautiful photo album so that I can bring pictures of my family and friends with me to Botswana. I seriously was so lucky to have the kindest students I could have asked for on my wing. At work tonight we talked a lot about the Peace Corps, and they made jokes about me living in a hut and eating bugs. I told them I may or may not try eating worms.
   After work I read my card and cried a little on the way home. The tears were happy tears though; they were tears of gratitude and the feeling that I did make some sort of difference in these students' lives during the 7 short months that I worked there. I found out from my Co-Ra at the end of the night that one of my quietest students had been the one who orchestrated the whole gift giving surprise. I also noticed after work that this same student had written on my goodbye card "Thanks for being you and for pushing me to speak up". Anyone who knew me as a child and teenager knows that I used to be very shy and that it took a lot for me to be assertive. I understand how hard that is for some people and for this student taking charge of planning a surprise out  and then announcing it at a meeting was a huge deal. I am very proud of her. I will miss them all.
   I have 2 weeks left before staging. I know the next two weeks will fly by very quickly because the past two weeks already have. I'm really starting to prep for some more difficult goodbyes now, like the ones I will be saying to my family and close friends very soon. I've been emotional but in a good way. I feel nervous, but the butterflies I'm feeling are the good kind. I have no idea what I'm actually getting myself into, but at the same time I feel like it will all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment