4/1/11

New people, yellow fever, food, and ice breakers

   I'm at staging in Philly right now. I got in yesterday afternoon and met up with a couple of other Bots10ers at the airport and took a shuttle to the hotel with them. Then when we got here there was no running water at first. Practice for Botswana? Yes, I think so. It was funny. Then there was a lot of time to wait around before registering so I kind of roamed around in search of something to eat since a bunch of us planned on going to dinner after registration which wouldn't be until at least 7:30. I found some cheezits and took a nap. Registration was cool because I got to meet most of the other Bots10ers. Several of us went to this really great Mexican restaurant and had the greatest guacamole ever! We even a "first night of staging" pic in. Everyone is very nice, and it is cool that we all have this whole going to Botswana thing in common. It is great being around people who get it!
   Today we woke up bright and early to go get our Yellow Fever vaccinations. We all walked together in the rain and waited a while for our turn to go, but it wasn't bad at all. We all just kind of talked about how excited we are.
   I'm meeting up  with some other Bots10ers to get Philly cheese steaks for lunch shortly before our afternoon of ice breakers and trainings. By the way, they give us money for staging! Excellent! Also, I'm actually kind of excited for ice breakers, as dorky as that makes me, because I think they are kind of fun. There are also still some people I haven't gotten to talk to yet so I'm hoping to get to know them as well.
   At 2:30am I'm getting on a bus with everyone to NYC. Then we will be at the airport for like 5 hours before we get on a plane to Africa!
This is awesome!
ps. Love to all of my friends and family. I miss you, but I am happy so don't worry about me too much.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering what kind of shots you would have to get- ouch! And what a great mix of foods to say goodbye to the US. I can't wait to hear about what you get to try in Botswana. I'm so glad to hear you made it there safe and sound. I hope you have a wonderful time xoxo

    ReplyDelete