4/19/11

Food!

   Yesterday ended up being a lot of fun in very unexpected ways. My training classmates and I were supposed to be going into the Peace Corps office and to some other Botswana governmental offices to complete paper work. However, we were not able to do all of the paper work because government workers in Botswana are on strike right now so the office separate from the Peace Corps office that we would have needed to go to was having staffing issues/ technical difficulties. Therefore, we ended up sitting around waiting a lot as the PC tried to sort things out, but then they took us to a mall! We were all in food heaven! I know it sounds ridiculous because I have only been here for a couple of weeks, but I have missed food from home big time already.  As I have written, I was quite sick initially and still have had some issues eating certain foods that are very common here like maize and meat. My brain wants to try new foods, but my stomach is fighting it. It was so amazing to have some familiar foods today! I haven't spent much of the walking around allowance that the PC gives us so today I got a chicken sandwich, french fries, and ice cream!  I know it will probably be a while before I have those things again. I also had fun hanging out with my training class without stressing out over studying and outside of our homestay homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment