4/19/11

Happy

   This past Sunday was the first day of homestay that I felt more "at home". I had been worried that my homestay family was going to expect me to attend church with them for 5 hours again like I did last weekend. I was glad I went to see what it was like, but I did not want to go again because it is fully in Setswana and 5 hours is a long time to sit after spending all week sitting in my training classroom. My host mother was the only one who went to church in my family this week though so I was able to spend the day at home with my host sisters, which was nice. I slept in until a whopping 7:30am (crazy, I know). I then did some dishes and helped clean around the house a little. I tried to bath and discovered that there was no water coming from the pipe outside, which is where my family gets water from since there are no faucets inside. My host sisters tried to give me some stored water to use to take my bath. They were going to give me some of what was left and not use any so I told them no that I was ok and that if they couldn't bath today I didn't need to either.I just washed up and changed my clothes. I then made my mom's "white chocolate crunch" recipe, which is the one thing I really know how to make, for my host family. I had to alter the recipe because of not being able to find all of the ingredients here. I ended up melting some white chocolate bars instead of using white chocolate chips and instead of pretzels, cheerios, and nuts I ended up just using cheerios. However, it was still a hit with my host family! They kept saying "monate" which means "nice".  Later on my youngest host sister, who is 15, taught me some dance moves, and we then showed our dance moves to my host mother and two older host sisters. I looked like a total mess I am sure, but I had fun. It also made them laugh, which was nice to see.  I went to sleep feeling like myself again, and it was "monate".

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! I'm following your blog because a friend is over there in the Peace Corps in Bots and I love hearing how it is to live there. Please keep posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lot of fun!! Your host family sounds great. Might be a silly question, but do they celebrate Easter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, Most people celebrate Easter. They have Friday through Monday off from work!

    ReplyDelete