4/6/11

Malaria Pills=hotmess AND Cinnamon Roll Hugs

   Today has been a rough day. My malaria medication is causing some weird side effects for me. I have felt totally out of it, light headed, sick to my stomach, and like a overall hotmess. During tea today I was sitting with a couple of other Bots10ers and a couple of Bots8 and 9ers who were helping out. I felt so sick just sitting there. Someone asked me how I was, and I broke down and started crying. I told them that I did not feel ok on the medicine and how it was upsetting me to feel happy to be here but then at the same time feeling so sick from the medicine. I ended up talking with PC medical staff, who are very nice and helpful, and they gave me some medicine for the nausea and are going to monitor the type of malaria medication I am taking and will change it next week if it keeps happening.  I ended up crying a later again as well. I was pretty embarrassed because it is not normal for me to have trouble focusing or to get so upset over something so ridiculous. However, everyone here has been really kind and supportive about it. I just don't like making other people worry. I've been able to laugh it off now though, and some of my fellow Bots10ers gave me a big group "cinnamon roll" hug to make me feel better. 
   Right now everyone is just relaxing. Tomorrow we all go to our host families for home stay, and it seems like we are all excited and nervous about it. I gave one bag to Peace Corps to take during my home stay. I feel better, and do not want to take my malaria medication tonight, but I will. I just will have to be patient with the side effects and aware that they make me a little loopy. Ok, maybe a lot loopy! 
   I don't want any of my family or friends reading this to be worried about me. I'm happy to be here and have no intention of giving up. I know that this silly malaria medication stuff will pass and the PC is really great at taking care of us so no worries there either. 
  ~KShep 
 
  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to ask you before you left about the adapter for your mac charger but figured you got one already. Hope you're able to find one. Goodluck with the host family.

    Alison says hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Shep, feel better! How long do you have to take the malaria pills? Don't feel embarrassed- your body and your emotions have a LOT to deal with right now. I really hope you get through the malaria issues fast. I hope you're having a great time with the host family, can't wait to read your next post! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete