6/13/11

Baby Steps...

   The first couple of months at site, I am supposed to be focused on getting to know my community and assessing needs. I know it hasn't been very much time, but I've had a tough time adjusting to being here and have been feeling like I'm doing absolutely nothing for nearly a week. Today felt meaningful.. I went to the junior secondary school to bring paper work for an essay contest that a volunteer who has been in my district for a year now had worked on and needed distributed. When I handed the paper work to the school secretary I asked if there was a way I could schedule an appointment to talk with some school staff in order to learn more about the school system here and because I have an interest in working with youth in the community. The school secretary ended up getting the assistant school head to meet with me right then and from there I was able to talk with the school head and the head of the guidance department. I didn't expect to be able to talk with any of those people so quickly. I explained to them that I am based at the S&CD office and clinic, but as a part of my first couple of months here I am going around and meeting different people in the community. I also talked to them about my experience working with youth in the US and how I hoped to be able to work with youth here through the clinic. All three said that they would like it if the clinic and school staff worked together more again because this is something that used to happen and hasn't been happening recently. I had heard the same from staff at the clinic. They also talked to me about the lack of activities for youth in Werda and that youth spending time at bars and the neglect of children are challenges here. Often times parents have to work outside of the village because of their farms being far away, and then children are left to care for themselves or for younger siblings.
   I know it is only a small step, and I have just arrived here and have a lot to learn. It just felt good to be able to have a conversation with people who seem to care. It felt productive and motivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment