6/28/11

...And there are Kind People Everywhere too

   In my last post, I wrote about how there are jerks everywhere in the world and about a difficult day that I had here. Now I would like to take the time to write about some very kind people I have met here and positive experiences I have had. First there is my next door neighbor and his little boy. The other day I had left my clothes pins on the line after hanging my clothes up to dry and heard a knock on my door. The little boy brought my clothes pins to me and said "Please don't ever leave those out there again. I don't want someone to steal from you." It was very sweet. The other kids who live near my house are also very sweet. They are always playing out in the sand and stop playing when I walk by to say things like "good evening" ( sometimes it is not evening when they say it, which to me only makes it more adorable), and we say hello back and forth over and over again until we are too far apart to hear each other. I add in a funny face now and then, and they giggle. Then there are a few nurses who check in with me every time they see me to ask me how I am adjusting to my village and if I need anything ,show me pictures of their families, ask me about my family, and seem to care a lot about their patients in general, which is also heart warming. I've also had a bus ride from my shopping village recently that was much more positive than my last bus experience. I sat next to a woman who asked me about the Peace Corps, talked to me about Botswana,  and saved my seat for me when I got off the bus to use the bathroom and made sure the bus driver didn't leave me behind. Her baby also kept reaching out to hold my hand off and on for the entire bus ride and was absolutely adorable. Then yesterday I went to the post office in my village to pick up a package and found out that I actually had two packages. I had only expected one and two would be a bit difficult to carry.I was going to just deal with it and carry them for the 15 minute walk anyway., but an older woman saw me, and she and her husband gave me a ride to my house without asking for anything in return ( usually people expect some money for giving someone a ride).
   These are the experiences that remind me that there are kind people everywhere in the world as well and make me happy to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment