5/20/11

Running

 I wrote previously about how much I've missed running and how I've felt somewhat on edge this week. I finally went running, and it felt great. I walked back from training, and dropped my backpack off at home. I grabbed my ipod, a small purse that I could swing over my shoulder to hold my phone and room key, explained to my host family that I was going for a run, and headed out. I'm pretty sure my host family thought I was completely insane, and I got some weird looks from some of the Batswana I passed. Mostly though, I just got "Dumela"s (hellos) and smiles. I stayed on the main road and ran toward our training site, since I'm very familiar with that route at this point. I'm out of running practice, but I was able to push through and run further and at swifter pace than I thought I would be able to. As I ran, I just listened to my music and ran and that was all. I didn't think about the strike that is going on here or how the uncertainty surrounding it worries me. I let go off all of the irritation and anxiety I had been feeling the past few days. I was huffing and puffing like crazy by the time I reached my destination, but it felt great. 
   Something else that I've realized during this difficult week is how much I do want to be here. I mean, I've wanted to be here all along, but this whole strike situation has emphasized for me how much I really am starting to become attached to this country and how lucky I am to be here. Not knowing what is going to happen with the strike or when it will be resolved scares me so much because I don't want to have to leave Botswana. I'm not saying that I think that will happen because I honestly have no idea, but what is going to happen to all of us in training now if this situation isn't resolved in the next few weeks? Swearing in day is coming up very soon, and what will happen if we still can't go to our sites come June 8th? I haven't witnessed any violence thankfully, but the overall situation does scare me, and the uncertainty of it all is anxiety provoking. I can't imagine what Batswana must be feeling or the volunteers who are living in the villages more directly impacted. 

I know I have written this before, but please send positive thoughts to Botswana and hope for a quick and peaceful resolution 


No comments:

Post a Comment