8/11/11

IST

   Today is the 4th day into my In-Service Training (IST), which I wrote a little about preparing for during my last post. It is a strange feeling being back to where I first came to this country, being in trainings that are not all that different from the trainings I participated in during Pre-Service Training (PST), and back into Setswana classes. I'm around the same group of Bots10 volunteers and the same Peace Corps staff as before, and  overall, things are very much the same. Yet, despite all of the similarities, it feels different. I guess that is the strange part. I think I'm starting to realize that the reason why things feel different is that I'm different. I know it is crazy to think that someone could possibly change over a time period of only four months, but I do feel different. I feel somewhat  overwhelmed being in the large group for long periods of time because I've gotten used to more quiet time, I feel more inclined to speak up about things, and overall just more relaxed about learning more Setswana. I also have seen first hand some of the loss and devastation that HIV has caused here in my village, and it makes everything feel so much more real. I know I still have a lot to learn because four months is nothing compared to a year or two, but I can feel myself slowly changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment