8/2/11

Celebrating

   If there is one thing I have learned here so far, it is that the littlest things can make the biggest difference. I realized a couple of days ago that it has now been four months since I started this whole adventure, and four months since I have seen my family and friends back home. Time is weird here. Some days can feel so long and frustrating, disappointing, or just plain lonely. Overall though, the past four months seem to have flown by. I keep having these moments lately that I like to call "Holy shit, I'm in Africa." moments. When I walk home and 5 kids follow me shouting out "Hi Neo", I find a donkey hanging out in my yard, and when I am greeted at the clinic in the morning with "dumela"s, it makes me smile and feel really glad to be here. I also feel really proud of myself for getting through some of the tougher days.The fact that I actually have projects I'm starting to work on feels like such a big deal right now. I know it may not seem like a huge deal because I still have 22 more months to go, but to me, making it 4 months here feels really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment