2/21/11

luggage, hard drives, and insomnia...Oh my!

   I have 38 days until my Peace Corps journey begins! Crazy, huh?! Time is going by so fast. Yesterday I spent time figuring out my luggage situation, which initially I was stressed about. I ended up finding two carry on sized bags and both have wheels, which I was happy about. Along with my hiking pack, which I will check, I think I will have plenty of space for what I'm bringing.
   Last night I spent time with two of my best friends, one who is in the process of moving to her new apartment. We sat in an empty living room on the floor eating sushi and chatting about life. When I told them I had been nervous about packing for Botswana both laughed at me. "You are insanely great at packing. Do you not remember those Alternative Spring Break trips during which you had one bag with everything you needed and everyone else had four. YOU do not need to worry" they told me. I tried to explain how this is VERY different. This is TWENTY SEVEN MONTHS and not a week or two. This is going to AFRICA.They both just smiled and said "Shep, you will figure it out. You always do.Don't stress".  I love their simple reassurance and how sometimes that is all it takes to make me feel atleast a little more at ease.
   When I got home I went through my closet stuffed with random Botswana gear. Sorting through it and organizing it, while trying to pack some of it made me feel so much better! I realized that I actually don't have that much that I need  or want to bring, and that feels very freeing! I packed a lot of my summer clothing that I will not be wearing here in Maine before April and some other things that I got specifically for Botswana. Now I get to go through my pictures and figure out which ones I'm going to bring and which will be left behind. I'm kind of excited about that. I also get to figure out how to use the external hard drive I got and how to get my favorite movies and tv shows onto it.
   Overall, I'm very enthusiastic about going. I would say that at this point I am much more enthusiastic than I am nervous. (Obviously, I'm a little nervous too). I haven't been sleeping that well because this is how I get when I'm enthusiastic aboutanything ever, and going to Africa is kind of a big deal. Although not  being able to get to sleep until late is at times greatly annoying, I am glad that the reason for my insomnia is because of something I'm happy about. I really do feel lucky to have this opportunity, and I can't stop smiling about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment