2/7/11

Another type of Count Down...

   I feel like I keep counting down the days I have left before I leave for Africa, but something I have not been counting down is the days I have left at my job, which is now 26. Although I'm looking forward to finishing up so I can focus my attention on preparing for Africa, I am somewhat glad to still be working because it gives me something else to focus on. I work as a Residential Advisor at a school for 16-24 year old students, and the wing I'm in charge of has 35 students on it. I've only been working there since I moved back to Maine in August to live at home for a while. During my time there I have made some positive connections with students and staff. I am going to miss them. My co-workers know now, and they have been very supportive and encouraging. One of them told me my life expectancy was going to go down, but another RA and I had a good laugh about his comment because who says that to someone?!  I know he meant well and was just trying to express concern for me though, which is why I am able to laugh it off. Another one of my co- workers is going to cosmetology school and cut my hair for me and treated it with a special conditioner all for free as part of one of her assignments, which was very nice of her. I will truly miss my Co-Ra and mentor who is in her 60s, from Argentina, and is both one of the kindest and toughest people I have ever met ( and absolutely hillarious). She was one of the first people I told, next to my supervisor, and her response was "Well, Kristen, you have to do, what you have to do".
    The students do not know yet, and I was advised to wait until only a couple of weeks before leaving because they "may not listen anymore" or may "stop caring", but ultimately it is up to me. I've decided to tell them this week because I feel I owe that to them. I have built trust with them, and I feel it is best to be honest. Overall they are very hardworking, kind-hearted students, and I have faith in them being able to handle the change and continue to maintain the same sense of community on the wing. Also, it is possible they will hire my replacement sooner than later, and I am actually hoping that happens.
Anyway, the counting down continues

No comments:

Post a Comment