4/2/12

One Whole Year!!!

   Saturday March 31st marked a year since I began this whole PC adventure. That was the day that I said goodbye to my family and friends in Maine and left for staging in Philadelphia and the first day that I met the other members of Bots10. Today marks one year since our arrival in Botswana.  A year feels like such a long time and such a short amount of time all at once. Some days, especially in the beginning, felt so long and difficult, but at the same time, time has flown by. Time has been flying particularly quickly over the past three months or so, partly I think because I've been significantly busier and partly because I feel so comfortable. I was able to celebrate this one year milestone with some  other PCVs this past weekend. A few of us spent hours looking at pictures from the past year. It is so strange to think about how much we have all changed  individually and how close of a group we have become over the past year. It has been quite the adventure that is for sure! We also went out for dinner and dancing to celebrate, which was so much fun.  A year is a big deal, and I'm glad we celebrated it in style. 
   I've been thinking a lot more about what will come next for me lately. Part of me feels like I really want to go home after this in June of 2013, spend a month or so in Maine with my family, and then go to graduate school in the fall of 2013. The other part of me thinks this experience is going by far more quickly than I want it to and is thinking of extending my service. I go back and forth on this every time someone asks me at this point. Some days I think "hell no" , there is no way I can be here that much longer and that my family and friends would be upset with me if I did extend. Other days I think "Yes, I could stay here longer". When PCVs extend they are allowed to go home for  a month first, and if I could go home to spend a month with my family and friends I think I may be able to do it. On the other hand, maybe a month wouldn't be long enough, and maybe when I go home I'll want to be home for good, and I do really want to go to graduate school after this so maybe I shouldn't delay that any longer?  Who knows?. I'm aware that I still have quite some time before I need to make that decision, but it is something that has been on my mind a lot recently.
   Family and friends at home who are reading this, I love and miss you tons! I can't believe it has been a year since I've seen any of you!  ( My thinking of extending does not mean I do not miss you! And like I said, it is just a thought at this point)I have never gone this much time without seeing my family. I miss Maine and the ocean.I miss lobster and pizza.  I miss seeing my little brother, Jordan, dance. I miss my dogs. I miss my NLSers and all of the craziness they bring into my life. I miss my DZs and going to Alumnae gatherings. I even miss watching really cheesy movies with my mom, and I miss my dad's dorky jokes. I miss trips to visit my grandparents. I miss Irish pubs and live bands. I miss 90s nights and dancing to Backstreet Boy and Hanson songs.I miss walking all over Boston with friends at various hours and going to Red Sox games. I miss hearing my friends and family laugh and their voices, and I miss being able to hug them. 
   Despite all of this missing, I am happy here at this one year mark. Bring on the next `14 months, Botswana! 

No comments:

Post a Comment