12/2/11

Wow, It's December

   Now that it is December, I feel a bit stunned that I have now been here 8 months. It is crazy to think about what that means. It means it has been 8 months since I've seen family or friends at home, 8 months since I've seen the ocean, the colors of the leaves changing in Maine, hugged or seen my little brother dance, been in an American grocery store, shopping mall or movie theater. I still have moments when I miss "things" or food in America, but I have to say those moments are becoming less frequent. Right now I am missing my family and friends, and I think I will throughout my service, but that isn't even upsetting me as much as it was in the beginning. That is not to say that I love them any less; I actually appreciate them more than ever. I think it is just that I've been lucky to stay in touch with them and am seeing that those who matter make an effort and will still be there for me when I go back home. I've also developed strong friendships here and am lucky to have people here who "get me" and accept me for who I am. Honestly, that is something I had been nervous about before coming here, and that worry is now gone.
   A lot has changed in my life at home and here over the past 8 months, and I can't even begin to imagine how much more is bound to change during the next 18. Thinking about that scares me a bit, but at the same time I'm finding that I'm more at peace with that than I was even a couple of months ago. I guess that is how I am feeling in general right now. Things that used to stress me out are feeling more "normal" or expected.
   The past week has been pretty slow because of school being out, meaning my village is very empty, and I have had a lot of down time. There was supposed to be an event in  my village today that was canceled. I've been reading A LOT and also running in the early evening, before it gets dark, to deal with that. My electricity is also out at my house, and I can't buy more because the machine for that is broken. I'm able to charge my computer and phone at the clinic, which is definitely helpful so I can still read books I have on my laptop and watch TV that way in the evenings.Next week my district is celebrating World AIDS Day, even though actual World AIDS Day is December 1st. I will be going to that village to take part in that celebration so that will be something to do.The following week I may be attending a workshop.
   The holidays are coming, and right now I am looking forward to my upcoming vacation to Cape Town very, very much! It will be my first vaca here, and I'm looking forward to seeing the ocean, iced coffees and other yummy beverages, seeing penguins and whales, hiking, and lots of fun. I'm in a bit of a pre-vaca/ being- bored- in- my- village- because- it- is -so- empty funk, but hopefully that will pass as my vacation becomes closer.

Also, it has now been about a year since I received my Botswana invite! Time is crazy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment