12/4/11

Magical Electricity ?

   For the past four days I didn't have electricity at my house because it ran out and the place in my village where I have to buy electricity was having computer problems. I even tried going to one of the two shopping villages I live between and the power happened to go out in that village when I was there, meaning I was unable to purchase electricity there as well. I wasn't too worried about it because I figured either the machine in my village would be fixed and if not I could try my second shopping village option another day. I mean I had a couple of food items spoil and a dark house in Botswana is kind of creepy when there isn't street light or other light around my house, but I was dealing.
   This morning I slept late and then went to get some water that I had stored in my fridge and realized it was cold. At first I thought I had lost my mind, but when I checked my fridge was in fact running and my lights turned on. Somehow I magically had electricity again. Now, something I should explain is that I live in half of a house and the electricity box is in the other half of the house. My neighbor had moved out last week so that part of the house had been empty so I knew it couldn't have been him. I then realized that this meant either my landlord was being very nice and had somehow bought electricity for me somewhere ( He owns the store in my village with the broken computer system and knew I had been going without it) or I had new neighbors. I changed out of my sleep clothing into real clothes and ventured outside to find out what was going on. I found two kids sitting outside on the front step. They told me they moved in last night and that the machine in the store nearby was working early this morning ( It is now broken again! Aieesssh! I will have to make up for it by buying more electricity when I can).  It was nice to meet my two new young neighbors and their older guardian ( Maybe grandmother?) who was also very sweet and understanding of the fact that I have been trying to buy electricity and failing miserably haha.
   Today I also received in an invite to my landlord's wedding anniversary party, which will be on my compound next weekend. I'm looking forward to it because usually my compound has been quite empty  since my landlord and his family do not live on the actual compound, the new house on my compound was just recently finished and is still empty, and the other half of my house had been empty for a bit. It'll be nice to have some more people around.

No comments:

Post a Comment