11/23/11

Yet another November Post. ; )

   I realize that I have been writing very frequently lately, and I apologize for anyone who is getting tired of seeing that I have posted something new AGAIN. I've found blogging to be a source of comfort, and it is nice to feel connected to home and like I am passing on even a bit of my experience here to family and friends. It has become more important to me than I ever would have thought.
   Anyway, this week is the last week of school. Although I'm placed in a social work office and not directly in the school, most of my work so far has involved the three schools in my village, in particular one of the primary schools and the junior secondary school. The PACT club end of the year party at the JSS was last Wednesday and the last PACT meeting for the Standard 6 students was last week as well. It is weird that those things are over for several weeks when I feel like they had just really begun. It feels like it took so long just to make those connections and get involved at the schools so I'm a little sad and lost feeling now that I can't continue working with them for a while. On the other hand, I am looking forward to the "fresh start" of school starting back up again. The Standard 6 students will now be Standard 7s, which means they will be the oldest students at the primary school, and I'm looking forward to working with them to help them develop their leadership skills more. There will be new Form 1 students at the JSS, and I'm looking forward to being involved in the process of recruiting  and training new PACT members. It was a bit tough stepping into the role of working with the JSS PACT club in the middle of their school year when they already had an established routine and into a situation where they were being left to fend for themselves without a lot of direction or support.
   In the mean time I'm trying to get involved with some other projects so I'm not bored out of my mind. World AIDS Day is coming up on December 1st and regionally is going to be celebrated in a smaller village west of me on December 6th so I am looking forward to attending that. There is also an MCP (Multiple Concurrent Relationships) training coming up for the district. The other volunteers in my district and I are also organizing a GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) camp for February so we will have some planning and organizing for that to keep us  busy. Even though I know I will still have down time, I'm very thankful that I at least have some things going on.

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is already tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving to my family and friends at home! I'm celebrating this weekend with some other volunteers, and even though I know it won't be quite the same, I'm looking forward to being around PCV friends

Tsamaya Sentle!

No comments:

Post a Comment