3/3/12

RIP My Botswana Katsi, Dobby



   Three dogs just came into my yard and killed my cat, Dobby. He had been getting bigger and exploring just in my yard right near my house; he had never left my yard. My yard has a big fence around it, and usually dogs do not come near my yard or me because they are too afraid so I never even thought for a second they would ever come into my yard and attack my cat. He had been outside playing for a little while , literally right in front of my patio, and I had the door to my house open so he was in and out all day. I had shut it only about 10 minutes before  it happened because it was really hot and wanted to change so that I was wearing less clothing and lie down for a bit and didn't want my whole neighborhood to see me in my skimpy clothing. The windows were still open so I'd be able to hear if he wanted to come back in. I had done this same thing many times before and thought nothing of it. All of the sudden I heard dogs barking and some children yelling VERY loudly. I ran outside because I thought that a dog was biting a child. When I looked three dogs had Dobby, and the children knew he was my pet and were screaming at the dogs to stop. I told the kids to back away because I didn't want them to get hurt, and started yelling and swinging my broom at the dogs to get them to stop, but they wouldn't; they were trying to fight each other for my cat and didn't seem phased by me at all.(All three were very scrawny, stray dogs and were probably legitimately starving and had no idea they were doing anything wrong) I continued to scream, yell, and swing at them, and they let go.  Dobby was still alive, but I could see he was coughing up sand. I tried to scoop it out of his mouth with my pinky finger and rub him to help him cough up the sand and breath better, but then I saw that he was coughing up blood as well. It was too late, and he was dying. All I could do was sit there with him and pet him until he died  a few minutes later. It felt like the longest few minutes ever. I feel awful that this happened. I was supposed to watch out for him, and I couldn't stop or fix any of it. I wish I hadn't shut my door at all because then maybe the dogs would have heard me inside and been too afraid to come or something or maybe Dobby would have ran inside when he saw them. It felt so hopeless not being able to stop the dogs from hurting my  little Dobby and not then not be able to help him after. All I could do was sit there and sob next to his body afterward. I didn't know what to do. I had never seen an animal die before let alone a pet. I was the one responsible for figuring out what to do with his body, but I couldn't stop crying. I sat on my patio for about 15 minutes or so just sobbing with my cat's body on the ground in front of me. When I could stop crying, I realized I couldn't just leave his body lying there and needed to do something. I walked over to the fence of my yard where I realized the children who had tried to help were standing and watching me sob and told them my cat was dead and that I didn't know what to do with the body.I actually tried to ask their mother who was standing in the yard nearby, but it was the children who responded to me. The three children, the oldest about 12, the youngest about 3, came back with a shovel and helped me dig a grave for my cat. I tried to keep it together, but the youngest kept petting Dobby's body as his brother helped dig the grave and saying something like  "sorry katsi", which made me cry more. I'm still pretty much a hotmess because I'm writing this only a half an hour after this all happened, but I needed some way to process this, as I still feel a little shocked and need for it to feel real. I didn't want to get a pet here initially because I was worried about getting attached to it because I'll leave at the end of my service, and now I realize that I was already attached to my little Dobby and used to his company and now he is gone. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh shep, I was so sad to hear that this happened to you. I just hope you dont put ANY blame on yourself. So many things are sadly out of our control. Wishing you a better tomorrow. - Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cassandra. I'm still sad, but I'm doing ok. I know that realistically it wasn't my fault, but at the same time it is just one of those situations for which I keep wondering "what if?" You know?

    ReplyDelete