10/12/10

a dream

   Ever since I was 14 and read the book The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsover, I have wanted to travel somewhere else in the world as a volunteer. Anyone who has ever read that book may think that is strange since the story involves a lot of grief and danger. Something about experiencing a new place and that kind of self-sacrafice appealed to me though. I read Peace Corps stories for years after, but I never felt confident enough to actually begin the application process.
   I decide to go for this dream in May. I had worked at a residential treatment center for over 2 years, and  I needed a change. I loved the experience of working there and wouldn't change anything about it, but felt like I was in a rut. At the end of a very difficult week at work, I spent a lot of time reflecting back on some of the experiences I had over the past couple of years and that I had endured. I realized that I was capable of going for my Peace Corps dream, and I just needed to make the decision to try. No more worrying that I wouldn't make it. No more feeling guilty about wanting this for myself.
   It is strange to think that one decision can be so life changing. I'm now very grateful for that difficult week because it was the final catalyst that lead me to go for my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment